find issue led to possible fsck bug

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed May 3 00:49:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 08:21 +1000, David Timms wrote:
>
>>> Subsequent runs of fsck to actually fix the problems does not appear to
>>> work.  I even had them put the file /forcefsck on the system and reboot.
>>> Same issues.  The results of the fsck seem to vary slightly.
>> I have not seen the same happen, but I would find it informative to know
>> if setting selinux to off is enough to get past the problem (though I
>> doubt it).
>>
>> Also, in your first fsck run, you said "no" to fix problems; did you
>> subsequently run it with yes ?  You would need to boot from the rescue
>> cd (or cd 1) so that the filesystems to check can be written to.
>
>> From what I can tell the error is in the selinux directory but not
> caused by selinux.  He had turned off selinux previously which made no
> difference.
>
> He ran fsck with yes to fix the problems.  I also had him force the fsck
> at boot time.

Is /selinux even a real file system?  All the files have size 0 and time
equal to the time of last boot, and it doesn't appear in /etc/fstab.
That looks suspiciously like a pseudo-filesystem like /sys and /proc.
fsck doesn't work on those.  I don't think that find does either.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu