Undelete Compat Flash?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Wed May 3 08:26:46 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Kazimieras <kazimieras.vaina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> You may look at:
> http://www.clarity.net/~adam/jpg-recover/
>
> I used his tool once - it works pretty well.
>
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 15:20 -0700, Stephen Mirowski wrote:
> > I formatted my flash card with my camera.  I would like to recover my
> > pictures with
> > Fedora Core 5.  Tried testdisk but I am not getting anywhere with that
> > program.
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> --

I would highly recommend that you grab a dd image of the compact
flash, and then run any tools against the copy (mounted read only).
That way the tool won't alter the contents of the dd image (or more
importantly of your original compact flash) thereby allowing you to
run other tools against it if necessary.  I am a forensic examiner by
trade and the first rule is to never work on the original.

A tool that you can use to recover images is called scalpel.  It's a
command line tool, and the successor to foremost (which you could also
use).  Both are available through sourceforge.net.  You could also try
Autopsy, a forensic application, if you wanted to delve into this even
deeper.  But not likely necessary for your needs.

You could even download a demo of SMART (www.asrdata.com) to try.  I
don't know for sure the limitations of the demo.  But it may at
minimum help you determine that the data is still there and
recoverable (which as long as it has not been overwritten, just
formatted, it should be).

Hope this helps.