How to read a tarball

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 09:55:54 UTC 2006

Hi Filippos,

Tks for your advice.

When I was in M$Windows age previously I applied DirectCD, carrying
data (most .txt/.doc/.pdf/.jpg etc.) on CD between home and office.
The CD worked as a mobile HD.  After living in Linux age I used .udf
system but not very successfuly.  Later it came to the DVD-RAM age.  I
never try it although I have DVD-RAM burner and DVD-RAM available.

Recently I notice that DVD+RW allows adding files.  I resume my
previously idea applying DVD+RW as mobile HD again instead of upload
the files as email attachment and download them again.

> but you can't do that. First you have to decompress, then edit, then
> compress again.  In order
> to see the contents of a tarball all you have to do is use the "t"
> flag, for
> example
>
> tar -jtf tarball.bz2

Noted with tks.  Ark allows reading the content of a tarball.  I think
it decompresses the tarball behind the screen, on RAM, as mentioned by
Ed Greshko in his late posting.

Others noted with tks.

B.R.
SL