smb authentication

On versions prior to FC5 I've been able to use authconfig to
set up smb authentication against a windows domain controller
but leave all account setup local so I could add users
with the adduser command but did not have to deal with
passwords.  The GUI tool from the System/Administration/Authentication
menu goes through the
same motions in FC5 but it doesn't appear to be contacting the
domain controller.  Did I miss something?  The right things
seem to be in /etc/pam_smb.conf and /etc/pam.d/system-auth
and samba access is working with the same server configured
as the password server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com