bright colors on linux-vt.

uli_rgbg at gmx.de uli_rgbg at gmx.de
Thu May 4 04:56:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help on the following problem:
I'm using a freshly installed FC5 on an x86_64. As I like the old 80x25
textmode i usually run my vt's in this mode using vga=normal on the kernel
append line.

Now, it's an old issue that -- while the vesa frambuffers (vga=0x317 or
something) support all 16 colors of the vt100-alike linux-terminal -- fedora
has only the 8 darker colors in the textmode (vga=normal).

Reading an old howto for redhat 8, I figured out that this is a font problem.
Fedoras default-font for the console seemed to sacrifice the bold-attribute to
have better unicode-compatiblity. But this attribute seems to be used to start
"bright mode". In the past releases i therefore simply
used the font "lat9w-16" (/etc/sysconfig/i18n !) which had all the characters
I needed. It also brought the bold attribute thus enabling me to use the
otherwise missing bright colors.

With fc5 this oddly works only "partially":
After startup the system shows the expected behaviour: bright colors in
textmode. But when I start X and then leave the X-Session by pressing
CTRL+ALT+F<n>, the vt is in a very bad state: bright colors are gone (means
identical with their non-brigth counterparts: e.g. yellow --> brown) and every
colored letter appears in something like cyrillic letters.

Typing "setfont lat9w-16" fixes the "cyrillic"-issue, but the bright colors
do not reappear, even when loading the font several times.

Oddly, if a load some other font (not every font works, there are only a few.
One of them is "Agafari-16") and then load lat9w-16 again, the bright colors
do reappear.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I'd mainly like to understand what's
going on in my system. For example: Why does X change the font of my vt? Why
does the order of loading fonts influence the result? What special voodoo is
there about "agafari"-fonts...

Thanks for your help!