OT: nut questions

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu May 4 14:28:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-05 at 09:48 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I've installed nut 2.0.2-0.fc3.2 on FC3 with an APC Backups RS 1500.
> Everything was fairly straight forward but I have a few questions I'm
> hoping someone could answer.

Since you have an APC UPS, I highly recommend that you use apcupsd
instead.  It's an excellent piece of software, and works very, very well
with every APC UPS I have tried (which isn't very many, but you catch my
drift).

> The nut web site says there's web monitoring, but I can't find any
> information on how to set it up and I don't see any cgi files as part of
> the package. I installed using yum, is there an additional package to
> install?

No, everything you need is there.  But, you have to do the web server
setup yourself.

> Also, been reading through the docs on the shutdown process. It says to
> add 'add upsdrvctl shutdown' to the shutdown scripts. Where exactly do I
> do this at on fedora?

Yeah, that one's escaped me, too.  I haven't looked into it, and haven't
done much testing yet, so I don't know if it's already been added by the
RPM.

> Outside of these questions my only concern is whether the PC is going to
> shutdown and then turn back on when power is restored.

Try a test power fail and see what happens.

> Still have to
> look at the BIOS settings.

Just make sure the BIOS is set to return to the last power state when
the power returns.  That usually means to automatically turn the PC on.

> Related question, should acpi be enabled or
> disabled in the BIOS?

Shouldn't hurt to leave it on.

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu