fc5 dvd players can't play encrypted DVDs

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu May 4 15:57:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:08:15 -0300,
  Barry Yu <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Used yum to download and installed Xine from livna, when started to play
> dvd movie it says;
> The source seems encrypted, and can't be read, Your DVD is problably
> crypted. According to your country law, you can or can't install/use
> libdvdcss to be able to read this disc/you bought (Media stream
> scrambled/encrypted).
> Used yum to download and install mplayer, and got message;
> FATAL; Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo)
>
> Where can I find the work around? Tks

Did you install libdvdcss? I believe this is an optional component for xine,
so that using yum to install just xine might not bring it in. I am able to
play encrypted DVDs using xine. I didn't use yum to do the install (except
to locate rpms), but instead fetched the needed rpms and then used rpm to
do the install.