Brother MFC-5440CN printer on FC3 and FC5

yonas abraham yonas at erimp3.com
Thu May 4 19:12:24 UTC 2006

Brian Hanks wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to buy * Brother MFC-5440CN printer for my home office and I
>> was reading several reviews. but can't find specific to Fedora in
>> general FC3 and FC5 in particular.
>>
>> It would help me if some one who tried this model under FC3 or FC5 to
>> share their success steps or frailer in making the printer a Networked
>> printer.
>>
>> Both my machines   (FC3 and FC5) are uptodated
>> thanks
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Yonas Abraham, PhD
>> Registered Linux user number 407343               http://counter.li.org
>>

> I have a Brother MFC-8840DN that I've used as a networked priter with FC3
> & FC5.  No problems at all.
>

> -- Brian

did you follow the same steps as it is on the brothers Linux page?

from what I understood, I should be able to
1)rpm -ivh MFC5440CNlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
2)rpm -ivh cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

and the use the SYSTEM-->Administration-->Printing and add new printer
as JetDirect and use the default Port (9100) and use the Printers IP.

or is you use a different method?

THanks