limits.conf: howto set core file size?

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu May 4 23:25:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 17:05 -0400, Matt Roth wrote:
[snip]
> I make all ulimit changes in the init script
> AND limits.conf.  That way they're applied in both of the following
> scenarios:

And silly me was asking for one or the other <grin>

> 1) Asterisk is started automatically at boot.
> 2) Asterisk is started manually from a login prompt after a crash or
> maintenance downtime.
>
> If you're planning on having a large number of concurrent calls, you
> should increase the maximum number of file descriptors so that you don't
> run into the same problem I did.  This can be done by adding the
> following lines to limits.conf:
>
> <user>   soft   nofile   65536
> <user>   hard   nofile   65536
>
> And adding the following line to Asterisk's init script, prior to
> starting Asterisk itself:
>
> ulimit -n 65536

Excellent, I will stick both sets of configs in the appropriate files.

> If security isn't a major issue, I'd recommend running Asterisk as
> root.  There is a substantial amount of work involved in setting all of
> the permissions to run it properly as another user.

Yup, it took me a while to get everything right in the rpm spec file but
it seems to work ok now so the hard part is done.

> Here are a couple of scripts that you can use for starting Asterisk at
> boot and restarting it automatically if it crashes:
>
> <http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.2/contrib/init.d/rc.redhat.asterisk?rev=15615&view=markup>
> <http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.2/contrib/scripts/safe_asterisk?rev=21638&view=markup>

Those are the same ones I use too. They work quite well.

> I'd be happy to continue helping you with your system, but we're getting
> a little off topic.

Agree.

>   I'm also an active member of the Asterisk users
> list <http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users>, so I'll
> keep an eye out for your posts over there.  Feel free to contact me off
> list as well.

I am subscribed to that list too. The sheer number of posts is a bit
overwhelming these days although I enjoyed reading the threads about
your 512 simultaneous call system and the ramdisk/tmpfs discussion. If
you are still looking to test the various ztdummy incarnations (plain
ztdummy, ztdummy-pll and ztdummy-rtc), this weekend I'll have updated
(s)rpms at http://www.laimbock.com/asterisk/ that will have all three.

Thank you for your elaborate answer.

Regards,
Patrick