Re: "Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!!"

Well, there are all sorts of background processes associated with X-windows mostly. Open sockets
and such, ACPI daemon communicates every now and then also, you get the picture. Just do a

/usr/sbin/lsof

and you will be suprised by the number of open files!!!!

Filippos

On 5/4/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 17:51 -0700, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> The commit interval to sync the buffers is 5sec if I am not mistaken.
> So every five seconds the kernel empties the buffers and writes their
> data on disk.

But wouldn't that only do something if there was something in the
buffers?  If there was nothing else writing or reading to drive, surely
that task would do nothing every few seconds?  (If programmed well.)

I read messages from the public lists.