Linux for video professionals

I post the following query from a professional television producers list I
belong to - it speaks for itself:

"why can't a mobile fire wire hard drive work as my storage unit for my video
camera, you need to buy that expensive external hardrive backup @$1500 for
40/80 gigs. Isn't there someway of running a pre installed linux program on
the mobile firewire and save my video automatically, I'm not looking for all
the bells and whisles, maybe just independant folders every time I hit the
record button.
Any linux, software gurus, help out."

Any takers? Ideas?
--