The new kernel 2.6.16-1.2111 - nice

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat May 6 15:13:05 UTC 2006

On 5/6/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 06.05.2006, 04:33 -0500 schrieb Arthur Pemberton:
> > On 5/6/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> > > When will the updated kmod-ntfs packages be available?
>
> They are building currently -- will probably take two or three hours
> until all kmod's are build and published (I tried to build them
> yesterday evening [CET], but the buildsys got stuck -- that's life).
>
> > Yah, you really have look out for those kmod dependencies. I know of
> > know mechanismn in yum to automate this.
>
> Someone was working on a yum-plugin to optimize the handling of kmods.
> Don't know what's the current status of it.

Last time I updated and all the packages were available, yum went
ahead and installed the new kmod-* packages for the ones I had
installed.  Very nice.  Of course, it only works if the new packages
are acutally built... :)  We'll see if it pulls them in automatically
when they are available.

By the way, I was attempting to rebuild the src.rpms for the nvidia
and ntfs modules and ran into some issues.  nvidia wanted the
kernel-kdump-devel package and ntfs wanted the kernel-xen{0,U}-devel
packages even though I only wanted to build for the normal kernel.  It
didn't seem to like my --define "kvariants """ since I got errors
about it being empty.  Is there a way around this so that I don't need
all the extra -devel packages (some of which may not be available)?
Also, how come there are separate src.rpms for each kernel version?

Jonathan