Iptables not saving...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 8 02:34:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 19:48 -0400, Devon Harding wrote:
> >iptables-save outputs current rules to stdin.
> >If you want them to be saved, redirect output not to
> >/dev/null but /etc/sysconfig/iptables .
>
> I forgot to mention that my cron job was already updated to output to
> a regular file, but even this still does not work.  Chains are gone
> after reboot.
>
> [root at mars ~]# cat /etc/cron.hourly/iptables.cron
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>

> > Use "service iptables save" to save the current rules for use on the next
> > reboot.
> >

> When I do that, after I reboot, I get this:
>
> [root at mars ~]# iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Try configuring your rules, then run the "service iptables save"
command.

After doing the save compare the running rules with the contents
of /etc/sysconfig/iptables to verify if the data ever gets saved.

This looks like the data is not getting written and the content
of /etc/sysconfig/iptables still is likely the default.

Post the output of "service iptables status", the output of "ls
-l /etc/sysconfig/iptables" and the contents of /etc/sysconfig/iptables
before and after running the "service iptables save" command.
That will tell us if the data is ever getting written.

Note that anything reading or writing /etc/sysconfig/iptables *must* do
so as root.