firestarter latest version broken?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon May 8 02:48:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 19:04 -0700, Richard England wrote:
> On my FC5 (32 bit) installation, I used yumex to install  Firestarter v
> 1.0.3 from the extras repo and got the latest version:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/firestarter-1.0.3-11.fc5.i386.rpm
>
> However, I was getting an error saying:
>

> "A proper configuration for Firestarter was not found. If you are
> running Firestarter from the directory you built it in, run 'make
> install-data-local' to install a configuration, or simply 'make
> install' to install the whole program.
> Firestarter will now close."
>

> Since Google told me that this was an issue going from 0.9.x versions to
> 1.0.x versions and a fix was to remove the configuration files, I tried
> that but had no luck. I tried more searches but could find nothing
> regarding this problem with FC5.  I finally went to look at the
> repository to see if I could grab an older version. I found the
> following, which I installed, (couldn't get any worse, I figured).
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/firestarter-1.0.3-10.fc5.i386.rpm
>
> This older version works.
>
> Interesting is the fact that yumex does not now show an update being
> available, now, as I would have expected, since I believe there was
> something like a month between the releases.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this and where should I report it?  I assume
> bugzilla but is there a category for extras?  (I'm a novice at bugzilla
> in almost all aspects)
>
> Thanks for any input.

Yes - file a bug report in bugzilla.
I maintain firestarter in extras, and 1.0.3-11.fc5 works just swell for
me. I *just* tested it on a virgin install (a box w/o previous
firestarter installed) and it "works for me".

Did you previously have a 0.9x version of firestarter?
If you yum update now (from command line) to 1.0.3-11.fc5, does it work?

Anyway - file a bug report in bugzilla.