A FC6 suggestion.

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Mon May 8 07:06:55 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 14:32, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Now, one change that would help is the way duplicate labels are
>> handled. Right now, the last label found of the duplicates found is
>> used.
>>

> Not unless it has recently changed.  I've never been able to
> boot a machine with duplicate root labels.
Well..I have. Not intentionally; I was direct-backing up (with dd) all
but 1 of my data partitions onto another drive, so that included the
volume labels. It still booted the correct partitions, until I used a
kernel which no longer saw the correct partitions; then it tried to use
the backup ones, didn't find the swap or the partition I didn't back up,
and kernel panicked. I was confused for a bit until I figured out it
what it was doing. But it did boot, with a duplicate root label.
-Dan