Setting default paper size in Gnome FC5

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at googlemail.com
Mon May 8 10:39:06 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at mn.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 15:24 +0100, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> > On 5/7/06, Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at mn.rr.com> wrote:
> > > Gavin,
> >
> > Thanks Marc
> >
> > > I have not seen anything definitive, however a Google search led me to a
> > > SuSE list where the following thread may be of help:
> > >
> > > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Jan/0343.html
> > >
> > > Thus, you may want to look at 'man lpoptions' to consider creating a
> > > ~/.lpoptions file.
> >
> > Tried this out - I had an .lpoptions file on the problem desktop.
>
> You might want to delete or rename this file to ascertain the
> possibility that one or more local settings are causing a default
> mis-configuration for your user profile.
>
> Also check /etc/cups/lpoptions to what is set for system level settings.
>
> > Added media=A4. This didn't seem to do anything to help though - US
> > Letter still default in evince. I didn't see anything related in
> > bugzilla to do with printing or paper size. As this machine is in work
> > and I'm at home just now, I've been running stuff via a SSH session
> > with X forwarding. When testing if the .lpoptions addition worked, I
> > tried to print a pdf in evince. As this was running from a shell I
> > noticed the following messages:
> >
> > GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer
> > HPColourLaserJ could not be loaded.
> > GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer
> > HPLaserJ could not be loaded.
> >
> > So may be this has something to do with it?
>
> Perhaps. I am not sure what additional interactions might come into play
> when using SSH. What conflicts might be present between your work
> computer and your home computer in this modality.
>
> I would first get your work computer running correctly (if possible)
> before trying this over a SSH connection. Parsimony...  :-)
>
> > > Not sure why this would be required, as gnome-print/CUPS aware
> > > applications should be picking up the default configuration, unless they
> > > have application specific settings, which Evo and Evince do not seem to
> > > have from what I can tell.
> > >
> > > One other thing to consider would be to delete and re-define your
> > > printers, in case something got messed up there.
> >
> > Given the above messages, I'll try this when in work on Monday.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > Beyond this, I would have to defer to others relative to what might be
> > > happening here, including the possibility of an FC5 bug of sorts. You
> > > might want to do a search of bugzilla.redhat.com to see if perhaps
> > > something has been posted there that might be relevant.
>
> > Many thanks for your suggestions Marc. Much appreciated,
>
> Happy to help. Hopefully it leads in the direction of resolution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

Got into work and played a little, and I think I'm getting closer to
the problem now. Running evince from the command line for example
yields the following errors when opening the print dialog:

Model not found, discarding config
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer
HPColourLaserJ could not be loaded.
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer
HPLaserJ could not be loaded.

And the dialogue chooses US LETTER. Now, if I close the print dialog
and then open it again, I don't get a second set of warnings about not
being able to open the ppd files for my printers, and now,
micraulously the default paper is A4. So I assume something is going
wrong in finding the defaults at first, but which works the second
time round. This happens with and without /etc/cups/lpoptions and
.lpoptions.

A similar thing happens with Evolution, except it never gets the paper
correct on second opening of the print dialog - same messages from
GnomePrintCupsPlugin though.

So I guess this is a bug and will complete a bug report for it in FC5 Bugzilla.

Many thanks,