playing cd's on an hp laptop?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 9 04:59:25 UTC 2006

I've tried an audio cd in the drive a couple of times on this i386 FC5
install on an amd64 hp laptop, a dv5320us, but while the various
software cd players and rippers all go thru the motions of playing the
tracks, nothing actually gets to the speakers or headphones.

Someone mentioned that because these lappy's never come equipt with the
audio cable from the drive to the audio circuitry, that I should
reconfigure it to use the data from the data bus.

Its a nice idea, but I've not found such a configuration option in any
of the installed stuff, nor in any of the extras I've since loaded, so
how does one go about doing this bit of data steering?

--
Cheers, Gene