NIC stress-tester

I'm looking for something to stress-test the network connection
between two boxes - specifically to check for an intermittent
NIC dropout on one of them. I started with flood-ping, but
a) this doesnt seem to really flood - it tops out at something
like 250 packets/sec whatever the packet size, and b) I dont
know if it compares sent data with received data.

I would really like to have something which can send randomised
packet lengths of randomised data at randomised intervals, and
checks that received data matches sent data.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Terry.