Yum update on FC5 install new kernel but don't update grub.conf

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 9 14:07:35 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Robert Locke wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 07:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> So my question then is: Can yum be told to dl and install the new
>>> kernels but leave grub.conf alone, and not remove the older kernel?
>>>

>> I don't believe this is yum doing this.  I believe it is the post script
>> inside the rpm package that is updating grub.conf....  So even if you
>> were to manually download the kernel package and use rpm -i to install
>> it, it would still update grub.conf.....
>>
>> --Rob
>>

> Yuk...  Ok, can I have yum dl, but not install (kernels only),

You can't, but you can approximate it by excluding kernel packages in
yum.conf and manually downloading them using yumdownloader from the
yum-utils package?

 > and I'll use mc to unpack & move the files?

Why on earth would you want to do that rather than just do:

# rpm -ivh --noscripts kernel-....rpm ?

I still find it much easier to let yum do it all, edit grub.conf, make a
new initrd, remove old kernels etc. personally.

Paul.