Re: Yum update on FC5 install new kernel but don't update grub.conf

Gene Heskett wrote:
Robert Locke wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 07:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
<snip>
So my question then is: Can yum be told to dl and install the new kernels but leave grub.conf alone, and not remove the older kernel?

I don't believe this is yum doing this.  I believe it is the post script
inside the rpm package that is updating grub.conf....  So even if you
were to manually download the kernel package and use rpm -i to install
it, it would still update grub.conf.....

--Rob

Yuk...  Ok, can I have yum dl, but not install (kernels only),

You can't, but you can approximate it by excluding kernel packages in yum.conf and manually downloading them using yumdownloader from the yum-utils package?

> and I'll use mc to unpack & move the files?

Why on earth would you want to do that rather than just do:

# rpm -ivh --noscripts kernel-....rpm ?

I still find it much easier to let yum do it all, edit grub.conf, make a new initrd, remove old kernels etc. personally.

Paul.