I had high hopes for FC5, damn...

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed May 10 07:45:35 UTC 2006

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I had hight hopes for FC5, HELL, I was even going to install it
> on my LAB machines without first testing it at home.
>
> But some visionary has turned it into crap.
>
> When doing an install, if the installer cant find a package you
> used to get a message asking if you wanted it to try again.
> Whenever I got this message, either rereading , or
> popping the CD out, and cleaning it did the trick, next try
> the installer was able to read the package and the install
> continued, with a bit of a delay.
>
> Now some clown has 'fixed' this so that the only option you get
> is to REBOOT.  I dont need a button to reboot, I can manage that
> quite easily with <CTL><ALT><DEL> or a power cycle.
>
> My guess is, that I have some machines where I will NEVER be
> able to install FC5 due to this improvment.  And Im not going
> to try multiple times on the others, just to get a clean install.
>
> Sigh.
>
> On a slightly more positive note, is there any way around this
> improvement? Does TEXT mode do the same thing?

Ways around this improvement:

Burn the disk slower.
Use different (better) media.
Use a different CD or DVD burner to burn the disk.
Use a different CD or DVD reader to perform the install.
Use a hard disk install
Use a FTP install
Use a HTTP install
Use a NFS install.
Try the nodma kernel parameter when installing.

(Hey - you asked right?)

I've personally installed using an external hard drive before. So I can
verify that works. I haven't tried the others but they're still
available options on the boot CD so I have to assume they're still valid.

--
***DISCLAIMER***

The director of Triple D Computer Services does not believe in
disclaimers or signatures - and thinks they are a severe waste of
bandwidth - if you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you
must stand on your head whilst picking your nose and singing the
national anthem.