root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 0 with signal 14

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Wed May 10 12:47:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 02:21:36PM +0200, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do get a lot of messages in var/log/messages:
>
> May 10 14:17:18 mail root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 0 with
> signal 14
>
> But I cant find the process and therefore I can't find out what signal
> 14 is about.

'man 7 system' on my machine showes that sig 14 is

       SIGALRM      14       Term    Timer signal from alarm(2)

so it looks like some process spawned by your mail server is timing out

> The system is RHEL4 SMP kernel.

Note that this is the fedore list, not the RHES list.

--
Art is anything that has a label (especially if the label is "untitled 1")