gnome-hal not working after update

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Wed May 10 18:17:23 UTC 2006

I'm running FC4 with kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 and I recently updated to
the latest FC4 HAL and latest FC4 gnome and I've noticed that even
though the icons in the applet appear if I plug in a firewire drive or
plug in a PCMCIA memory card it never updates to say that the device is
mounted even though the device is mounted and no icons on the desktop
ever appear?  Have I screwed something up or is this a real bug?  Where
do I look to see if something is misconfigured?  Or suggestions for
google terms (the ones I've tried so far haven't helped much though I
think I get HAL now)?

Thanks.