Thunderbird, Advance to next ...

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Thu May 11 00:08:18 UTC 2006

On 5/10/2006 2:52 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> taharka wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 16:02 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> I am presently using Thunderbird version 1.5.0.2 (20060501) and
>>> FC-5.  Until updating to FC-5 and the latest Thunderbird I could
>>> prevent Thunderbird from asking "Advance to next unread message in
>>> ----------?" by making the following configuration changes which can
>>> no longer be done.  It appears that the configuration files have
>>> changed and I'm unable to find where to stop this annoying "feature!"
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>>>
>>> Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod
>>>

>>>  > how to stop Thunderbird from asking
>>>  >>
>>>  >> "Advance to next unread message in ................."
>>>

>>> In ~/.thunderbird/default/<some_characters>/user.js add
>>>
>>> # How to handle the Advance to next unread message in <x> folder
>>> # prompt.
>>> #
>>> # Settings:
>>> #     0 - Always go to the next folder without prompting
>>> #     1 - Ask before going (default behavior)
>>> #     2 - Don't prompt and don't go to the next folder with unread
>>> #         messages
>>> user_pref("mailnews.nav_crosses_folders", 0);
>>>
>>> (or chose 2 if you do not want to automatically go to next folder with
>>> unread messages)
>>>

>> Does the following link help you?
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips#beh_nextunread
>>

> Yes, definitely!  I searched for that file and never found it.

Use the built-in config editor:

tools/options/advanced
click the Config Editor... button

In the filter field, enter mailnews.nav

Double click the one item
enter your new value....

Sure beats trying to find the magic file. :-)

Though you still need to know the magic values. ;-)

It would be very cool, if, when an item is selected in the config
editor, pressing F1 would show the comments explaining the different
values. RFE? ;-)