I had high hopes for FC5, damn...

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu May 11 01:41:13 UTC 2006

> Thanks - but it looks like everything has to be on one server
> for this to work.  I was hoping to let the menu select from
> several servers for the actual kernel/initrd load so they
> could be maintained separately.  Did I miss something or is
> that not possible?

You can put the ISOs on different file systems or even servers, and then
just use the pxeos tool (from the system-config-netboot package) to
configure the server location, and where on that server the particular
OS is located.

The actual kernels and initrd are located on one server.  You can have
multiple directories under /tftpboot, each with a kernel and initrd for
the OS you want to install.  Of course, it's all served out with tftp
and dhcp.

Sooooo, I'm sure you could use NFS mounts under /tftpboot to distribute
the OS installs to various machines, but maintain the single pxe boot
config files on one server.

Having said that, I haven't ever tried this.  Not sure if pxe boot will
work across NFS (don't see why not).  Actually, I think that's how LTSP
works, so you should be okay.

HTH,

Ranbir

--