Re: java in Linux question

Paul Howarth wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 05:09 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 03:53 -0700, M E Fieu wrote:
Hi.. I have installed java in the following folder /usr/java/jre1.5.0_06 in linux, may i know
whether i should create JAVA_HOME variable like windows do ??  If I want to add the following
entries
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06

where should I add ?? /etc/profile ? I added but it doesn't appear in ENV after I relogin
I recommend using the jpackage nosrc.rpm to create Sun java rpms.

http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3366
http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php

A detailed Fedora-specific HOWTO for this is available here:

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava

Paul.

As far as I know that doesn't set the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
Some java programs depend on that to find things like $JAVA_HOME/lib/jre/ext
or security settings to install or run correctly.

Is it possible to somehow get JAVA_HOME set from Jpackage, so that it reflects
the currently chosen java version?

Regards
Uno Engborg