Re: OT: FreeNAS: The Free NAS Server

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:25:01PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> What will be the main features/functions of "openfiler"?  What will be
> its advantages compared with FreeNAS?

I don't know in detail (I'm not yet using either product, though
I've used m0n0wall and am now using pfsense). Openfiler has lots
more of features, though, and is a more mature product, hence
useful in production systems.

An overview of features (management part) can be found on
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/
compare it with
http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=29&func=viewcategory&catid=1&Itemid=29

FreeNAS, especially if booted from CF looks very useful
for a home appliance, whereas OpenFiler is something more
for power users and corporate environments.

I personally just run Ubuntu Server on my home RAID box (it
was Ubuntu by chance, since Debian amd64 couldn't handle
the NIC at the time, and nightly builds were b0rked),
because it is also doubles as a DNS server, and a generic
machine for crunch and building tasks, and testing things
requiring LAN bandwidth.