Install FC5 with ftp method failed

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 11 12:58:16 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Maria Tsiolakki <tmaria at cs.ucy.ac.cy> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying to install FC5 , x86_64, with ftp method, but it fails. It
>> seems that it has problem to find the base dir and stage2.img file.
>> The path to the ftp server is something like
>> pub/linux/fedora/core/5/x86_64/os/, but it complains. It gives the error
>> "mnt loop loop0 on /mnt/runtime as tmp/ranfs/stage2.img failed to mount
>> loop:Invalid argument"
>>
>> Has anyone try to install it using ftp method?
> Sorry, I don't have the answer you are looking for, but I would suggest
> installing via NFS and the DVD ISO, it seems much easier. If you have
> already downloaded (can download) the image that is. If you are tring to do
> a network install directly from an ftp mirror, then I am out of my league.
Yes, I've done many machines using ftp with FC3/FC4/FC5 (not x86_64 though).
You need to mount the iso image on the ftp server in a folder called
disc. If it is the 5 CD's, you need to make folders disc1 .. disc5 and
mount each disc.iso in the appropriate folder.

Then when giving the path in anaconda, for DVD give the disc path. If
CD, give the path to disc1 (the installer knows to find disc2 in
../disc2 etc. so the names are important.

If you are already doing this, and still no success, then VT3/4
(ctrl-alt-f3/4) show what is happening during the install, you might
copy that here for more help.

DaveT.