Good Bye FC5

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu May 11 15:03:20 UTC 2006

Johnny wrote:

>     - Lack of an "install everything" option requires maintaining a
>       list of all the stuff that has to be installed after completing
>       the initial installation, so that if I want to do another
>       install, or an install of FC6 I'll be able do do so quickly.

Hm well

rpm -qa --last | tac

might replace having to 'maintain' a list, it shows everything in
ascending install date order.  It wasn't so long ago the happy ease of
yum install didn't exist... at least an installation action is
relatively quick and painless when needed.

>     - The xorg radeon driver no longer works with two display heads.
>       Resolving this requires installing the evil kernel-tainting
>       proprietary ATI driver.

Hum not much idea on it I'm afraid.  What I did for a laptop here was
cherrypick some xorg packages out of the development branch (the main
server and the right driver) and that worked at the time, but I'm not
sure I recommend it unless you are ready to --oldpackage back to where
you came from.

>     - The pwc (Phillips Web Camera) driver loads, but the output of
>       the Logitec web camera can't be displayed in either TVtime or
>       xawtv.

You can get a later version of pwc here

http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

than is shipped with the kernel.  You can compile it without having to
recompile the kernel, but take care when updating, as the make install
goes to a path that is a directory of the same name on the Fedora
kernel.  I assume the old version is inherited from the mainline kernel
and isn't Fedora's fault.

>     - gnome-screensaver is lame (too few hacks, unconfigurable) and
>       buggy (locks the screen at inappropriate times).

If you didn't already, try KDE instead of Gnome.

-Andy