I had high hopes for FC5, damn...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:05:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 20:41, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> > Thanks - but it looks like everything has to be on one server
> > for this to work.  I was hoping to let the menu select from
> > several servers for the actual kernel/initrd load so they
> > could be maintained separately.  Did I miss something or is
> > that not possible?
>
> You can put the ISOs on different file systems or even servers, and then
> just use the pxeos tool (from the system-config-netboot package) to
> configure the server location, and where on that server the particular
> OS is located.
>
> The actual kernels and initrd are located on one server.  You can have
> multiple directories under /tftpboot, each with a kernel and initrd for
> the OS you want to install.  Of course, it's all served out with tftp
> and dhcp.
>
> Sooooo, I'm sure you could use NFS mounts under /tftpboot to distribute
> the OS installs to various machines, but maintain the single pxe boot
> config files on one server.
>
> Having said that, I haven't ever tried this.  Not sure if pxe boot will
> work across NFS (don't see why not).  Actually, I think that's how LTSP
> works, so you should be okay.

I guess that's not an unreasonable amount of work, but some
of the systems are k12ltsp where the thin client boot images
are likely to change as a result of a 'yum update' on one
system or another.  Maybe I can play with the automounter
and symlinks under /tftpboot to /net/othermachine/tftpboot/...
so they are automagically mounted when needed.

I thought I saw a network version of grub a while back
that had a more generic approach but it doesn't seem to
be popular.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com