Good Bye FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:30:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 10:49, yonas abraham wrote:

> > Now, does anyone know how to execute the gnome menu button
> > remotely?  I normally connect to several different machines
> > and would like to have access to their menus and be able to
> > launch any available program without having to run the rest
> > of the desktop remotely.
> >
> I do it using vncviewer

But vncviewer gets you the whole remote desktop in a
separate window.  What I what are several menu buttons
from different remote machines running on my desktop with
programs started from any of them opening in new windows
on my desktop.  You can sort-of get the effect by dragging
some menu items onto the desktop on the remote machines
then from your desktop 'ssh -Y remote-machine' followed
by running 'nautlius &' in that terminal.  This opens a
screen on your desktop showing the remote desktop minus
the menus and taskbars, but you can double-click any of the
launchers you moved to the filesystem to start programs that
open in new windows on your display.  What I want is just the
menu button, though. If it had a name, I'd expect to be able
to 'ssh -Y remote_machine gnome-menu' or something like that
and get a working remote menu.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com