Make bridge network interface under FC5

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 11 17:26:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 03:25 +0200, Samuel Díaz García wrote:
> Hi again, I'm trying to make a bridge interface configuring a network
> script (ifcfg-br0 for example) under FC5.
>
> Using brctl and ip commands no problem and I use a script for this as a
> workaround, but I want to use network scripts.
>
> My bridge iface is br0, and use ethernet ifaces eth0 and eth1.
> The scripts tried for them (in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory)
> are:
>
> [[ifcfg-br0]]
> DEVICE=br0
> TYPE=Bridge
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=10.1.1.17
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=10.1.1.2
> ONBOOT=yes
> DELAY=0
> STP=on
>
> [[ifcfg-eth0]]
> DEVICE=eth0
> BRIDGE=br0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> BOOTPROTO=none
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> [[ifcfg-eth1]]
> DEVICE=eth1
> BRIDGE=br0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> HWADDR=yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
> BOOTPROTO=none
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> The problem occurs when I try "service network restart" or when "ifup
> br0", the bridge iface br0 fails to up.
>
> Any help?
>
> I tryed in ifcfg-br0 putting "BOOTPROTO=static" too without success.

IIRC, you don't set up a "ifcfg-br0".  The "BRIDGE=br0" stuff in the
slave devices (ifcfg-ethX) is what triggers the creation of a bridge.
Look at "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network" and
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth" for details.

-          "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."           -