AWE32 Sound card

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 12 00:35:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:44 -0400, Billy Tallis wrote:
> On 5/11/06, Rickey Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 22:12 +0800, Hudson.Peng wrote:
> > > Hi All:
> > >
> > > My soundblaster AWE 32 ISA card never work well since I use FC4 and
> > > FC5, Pls give advice about this issue.
> > >

> > Mine usually blows up when I do a bunch of 'recommended' OSS edits to modules.conf.
> > I have removed all references to sound in that file, turned the machine
> > off, removed the card, restarted the machine, (so it is recorded as
> > removed), shutdown again, re-installed the card, and rebooted. Voila! It
> > works as hwconf puts what it needs into modules.conf. Be careful what
> > you add to modules.conf... sometimes all that OSS stuff isn't necessary.
> > Make sure your mixer is set correctly. Ric
> >

> Putting anything related to OSS into your system's config files is
> silly. OSS has been deprecated for as long as the 2.6 kernels have
> been in use (FC2, I believe.) The AWE32 is SB16 compatible, so as long
> as the kernel has ISA and SB16 support in ALSA, it should work. It
> might also need isapnp support.

The awe32 and 64 has more features to use than a plain jane SB...
it still has it's own module, separate and apart from SB.
here's my alsa settings:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe

...it is not a SoundBlaster.

I still use these entries for OSS

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

which, according to the alsa doc, sets up the awe32/64 mixer which is
specific for the board and works well... it's in the awe32utils package
which is still available for this wonderful old card and still in the
latest kernels. So, you can retract your remark about silly... just to
keep the peace. I see no need to dumb down my card to a SB16. Ric