Good Bye FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 12 00:47:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 18:26, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:36 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> > I have not tested this, buy you could try running gnome-panel on the
> > remote machine. I am not sure if it will try and take over your
> > desktop. The other thing you can do is to run Xnest, and launch the
> > windows manager inside the Xnest window. It will give you a complete
> > remote desktop inside the window. (This requires a fast connection
> > between the two computers.

A remote gnome-panel seems to take over the local panel position
and then have a split-personality about which one should be there.
I just want the little menu button in its own window.

> Someone elst already said you can use vncviewer for this.

I don't want the whole desktops from all the other machines, just
the ability to launch any program available in any menu under
my local window manager with the usual cut/paste and positioning
control available.   That's the way most other X things work.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com