Win2003 login remotely to FC4 via VNC

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 12 06:11:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 00:41, zillah wrote:
> > It's not clear from your earlier message exactly what
> > you did to connect from the windows side and what the
> > error was.
>
> I configured FC4 as I have mentioned in my early thread.
>
> Then from winodws 2003 I opened VC Viewer Enterprise Edition 4.1.6, and I typed in:198.222.168.189:2,,,,,,198.222.168.189 is ip address for FC4 and I am trying to connect to FC4 withing a LAN.
>
> I recieved this error message:
>
> > VNC Viewer: 198.222.168.189:Error
> > unable to connect to host: The requested address is not valid in its context.(10049)

That error doesn't make much sense unless you have a syntax error.
Did you include those commas in the address?  Does the java
view that you'd get by pointing a browser at
http://198.222.168.189:5802
work any better?

Even if this works, if you are on a local lan you would probably
like Xwindows better.  If you enable xdm logins on the fedora
side and install the free cygwin X (http://www.cygwin.com)
you can start it with:
Xwin -query 198.222.168.189 (from a cygwin bash prompt)
and get a graphic login approximately the same as on the
console.  There is a run-from-cd version at
http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/ if you want to try it without
having to install anything.

--
  Les Mikesell