Forcing a disk eject

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at lucent.com
Fri May 12 19:13:46 UTC 2006

> Paul Smith wrote:
> >
> >> From time to time, my DVDs do not eject. Is there some way
> of forcing
> Paul,
>
> (1)  Be sure the DVD is unmounted.  Use 'umount' if needed.
> (2)  Then, either use 'eject' or the button will work (as long as it
> is not still mounted).
>
> If you can't get the DVD unmounted or other problems:
> (1)  File a BUG report.  Leave complete details of the issue.
> (2)  If you where viewing something, try filling against the component
> you last used the DVD with.
>
> (3)  All else fails, most still have the little hole you can use a
> paper-clip with to eject the DVD.  Linux won't like this
> option though.
> (4)  A reset or other action is the only other way..

Sometimes even the "eject" command will not do the eject.  This
can be the case with a data cd or dvd where some process has
it's working directory set to someplace in the dvd.  Mount will
refuse to unmount it.

You can use the "lsof" command (list open files) and search for
the process which has something in the DVD mounted.

Bob Styma