Forcing a disk eject

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat May 13 00:14:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 15:05 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> --- Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All
> >
> > >From time to time, my DVDs do not eject. Is there
> > some way of forcing
> > the disk to come out?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> >

> This might not be the best answer, but most cd's have
> a hole in front which you can insert a paper clip and
> force the cd outside.  Do this when all other things
> have failed, ie,
>

> # umount /dev/hdc
> # umount /dev/hdd
>
> # eject /dev/hdc
> # eject /dev/hdd
>
> Shutdown and restart computer and when computer is
> starting press cd switch to eject and take out.

One must also remember that if the disk has a filesystem on it AND
anyone has open files on that disk (including being "cd"d to it), then
you can't eject or unmount it.

-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -