FC5 sound problem

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Sat May 13 05:27:12 UTC 2006

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Hi folks.  This one has me stumped.  I'm having problems with the sound
> in .mpg files.  I didn't used to have this problem back in my FC2/FC3
> days, so I'm not sure exactly when it broke.  Now I'm playing with
> getting my video capture card working, and of course, it has a hardware
> MPEG encoder on it, so none of the videos it produces have good sound.
> Or at least, I can't get the sound right.
>
> The Problem:
> 	Whenever I play *any* .mpg file (with mplayer for now), the sound comes
> out scratchy and generally unclean.  These .mpg files used to play fine
> when I originally downloaded them.
>
> Not the problem:
> 	I have no trouble playing .wmv files.  The sound is crisp and clean.
> Timidity/Festival work just fine.
>
> My system:
> 	ABIT NF7-S2 mother board with onboard nForce AC97 sound chip:
>

>> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation MCP2S AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
>>         Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp. Unknown device 1c09
>>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 3
>>         I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
>>         I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
>>         Memory at ef005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>>

> 	I'm using the snd_intel8x0 sound driver (and associated modules).
>
> 	I'm currently running the 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 kernel, but I've tried
> every FC5 kernel back to FC5 test1, all with the same results, so I am
> unable to re-prove that it ever worked....   B^)
>
> 	My FC 5 system is up-2-date (with yum), and I'm banging my head against
> the wall.  I originally thought it was the ivtv stuff I had installed,
> or the mythtv stuff I was trying to get working, but when I discovered I
> can no longer play *any* .mpg (MPEG-2) videos that I've had for years, I
> am reverting to suspecting the sound drivers or mplayer.
>
> 	What to do next?

Sound and video are encoded separately. If the video is fine, then it
seems like a sound decoding issue. See if you can check what codec is
being used (i just go to the properties in Nautilus, on the Audio/Video
tab, probably some terminal command you can use); all the videos I have
right now have mp3 audio.
-Dan