Re: Kernel rpm

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 17:34 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 3:38 PM -0400 5/12/06, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>
> >Ali Helmy wrote:
> >> So, is there a kernel source code rpm out-there?
> >
> >No.  See the release notes[1]
> >
> >"Fedora Core does not include the kernel-source package provided by
> >older versions since only the kernel-devel package is required now to
> >build external modules."
> >
> >[1] http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2983562
>
> I don't understand this.  Not having kernel source seems very strange.  It
> also seems to be incorrect, as:
>
>     yumdownloader --enablerepo=updates-source --source kernel
>
> downloads the kernel SRPM, and I see several kernel SRPMs at
> <http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/SRPMS/>.

It doesn't say the kernel source isn't available, it says the
"kernel-source package" isn't available. And that's a reference to the
"binary" package called "kernel-source" that used to be available in FC2
and older releases, not the kernel.src.rpm, which has always been
available and is now, quite rightly, the only kernel source package
that's now supplied.

Paul.