Where things stand

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat May 13 17:55:20 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:48 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I wonder if a person d/l FC4 from a mirror today does it have the
>> lib or is it still missing it?
>>
> ----
> If you use yum to install software, it will automatically install
> required dependencies but I am gathering that you are using Firefox and
> Thunderbird programs not from Fedora Core but from mozilla org and are
> installing them without yum and thus do not get any benefit from having
> yum solve dependency issues for you so you are left to do that yourself.

    It's Worse than that. I had no idea I could yum Thunderbird! That
would be real nice.

> Recognize that a massive amount of updates, both of security and bug fix
> variety have been released for Fedora Core 4 and it is heavily
> recommended that anyone installing Fedora Core should do a 'yum update'.
> It should also note that this command will download a massive amount of
> packages and take a very long time.

    No-one suggested I use yum update. I'm wondering if that would be
the proper way to fix my problems?
> Also recognize that it is Fedora policy to EOL
    I assume EOL stands for End of Life. What does that mean? Will yum
stop working?
>  a release when the second
> testing release is made subsequent - which means that Fedora Core 4 is
> expected to EOL on July 12 (the projected release of Fedora Core 6
> Testing 2). Given the relatively short lifetime of Fedora Core 4 at this
> point, I'm not sure that I would do a new install with it.

    You maybe not but me yes. There is an issue with an application
called gMFSK on FC5 and since I must have it back to FC4.
> Lastly, as luck would have it, FC-2 and FC-4 were substantially changed
> from their predecessors and had a number of issues that were problematic
> for a relatively large number of users where FC-3 was generally easier
> to install/configure and I expect the same from FC-5

    I don't recall a single person who ever used FC3.
> Craig
>
> Craig

Karl