Experience with FC5 - what's your take?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 13 21:13:26 UTC 2006

> Alas, it's not a whole bunch better with FC5. I have a Dell 600M and E1505,
> plus a Gateway MX3210. None of them sleep properly. I can see the ACPI
> lid/button events and the shutdown scripts kick, but it doesn't quite
> suspend properly. The CPU stays at high and won't throttle down, plus
> wireless doesn't completely shutoff.

I think when it comes to suspend etc., peoples experiences vary a lot, and
this is far from a universal view. It seems very hardware dependant

For me, after installing (clean install to /, with /home and /boot on
separation partitions that where retained) FC5 suspend and hibernate both
worked out-the-box. I have a dell 8600 with an nvidia 5650 graphics card, and
using the OSS nv driver it just worked straight away. Getting the nvidia
closed binary driver going took a little tweaking, but still was relatively
painless.

What hardware do you have ? maybe the some one with the same can comment.

Chris