Re: PAM Recipe to Authenticate on Either the User's Password or Root's Password

On 5/13/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 13:22, Schlaegel wrote:
> I want everyone to avoid 'su', and most users won't know any important
> target passwords (like root). Also, which password is required is
> inconsistent across linux programs and even across `sudo`
> installations, so I want either to work.
>
> Rather than debate the social issues, I want to know if anyone knows a
> technical solution that allows this.

It's more program philosophy than a social issue.  When you
disagree with the author about what the program is supposed
to do, the source code is the place to start.

I don't get your meaning. I want to use `sudo` for the purpose it was
written, to execute a command as another user. `sudo` supports three
methods of authentication current user, target user, or PAM. I want to
see if PAM can authenticate by trying both the current user and the
target user. What author am I disagreeing with in regards to the
purpose of their program?