[OT] Google Trends

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.name
Sun May 14 05:55:10 UTC 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 11:58 pm, Rickey Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 08:42 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > red hat, suse, fedora, debian
>
> When they offloaded the $49 individual user they really lost some volume
> in the Enterprise. Let's face it, if you're a linux geek at home, you'll
> use what you use at work. Same as in the MicroSoft world. It's marketing
> and human nature, plain and simple. Ric

I have to concur with that.   Everyone understands that RedHat is a corporate
entity trying to earn a profit, for which they shouldn't be attacked.

But several years ago (1999) when I decided I would try to convince my manager
to allow me to install Linux at work, I was able to do so because I had
become comfortable enough with it at home to confidently move forward.
Turns out there were a few small lumps initially, but because I'd all ready
become comfortable with traversing the web in search of information I was
quickly able to resolve the problems.

I can't see any downside to Red Hat offering a sub-$100/annual version of
their EL system for home use.   Ditch the support options if necessary and
just provide updates from RHN.

It seems like a lost revenue stream to me.   Is there something very basic I'm
overlooking?

DP

> --

believed to be clean.