moving email from fc4 to fc5 in evolution

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 14 13:58:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 19:34 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Timothy Payne wrote:
> > I tried the import but it's only for other programs.  I'm afraid to just
> > copy data from my fc4 machine to a new fc5 install on another machine
> > and make a big mess.  I have the old data on the new machine in a
> > separate directory.  Any suggestions on how and what data to copy over
> > would be appreciated, I'm not clear on how Evolution stores data.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tim...
> >

>     Hi Tim, I use Thunderbird and it stores all the stuff in my home
> directory under .thunderbird/. This I was able to move from FC5 back to
> FC4 by just moving the directory just under .thunderbird. It worked real
> well. Now it looks as if I must move back to FC2. I hope I can do that
> as well....
>
> Karl

I have thought about this. Evolution keeps its maiboxs all in the same
directory. So one might think you could take the FC4 files and append
them to the FC5 mailbox files. However I think there are index files
that organize the mailboxes. If so appending mail to a mailbox might be
a problem.
The Tree of Learning bears the noblest fruit, but noble fruit tastes
bad.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net