FC5 xorg and dual head

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun May 14 17:48:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:23, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > Actually it's not obvious at all that a libstdc++ should
> > change it's interfaces on each release.  Isn't it supposed
> > to implement a standard set some time ago?  It's also not
>
> Not so long ago that compilers won't continue to evolve toward compliance
> for a while.  Also, the API is set by the standard, not the ABI.  But
> it's the ABI that matters when linking.  If structures change layout or
> name-mangling conventions change, you have a problem even if no changes
> are needed in the your source.  The lib in question is from gcc-3.3.  The
> current compilers for FC are gcc-4.x, so ABI changes shouldn't be
> surprising.

I guess that depends on your expectations.  Sun claims
to run binaries from Solaris 8 on Solaris 10.  Are they
using black magic or just doing things right?

> > obvious that needed compatibility libraries would be
> > omitted from a normal install.
>
> They aren't ommitted if you've installed something that depends on them
> from an RPM that properly indicates the dependency.

That requires a rather closed system, doesn't it?  What if
you want to run something that packager didn't provide?  It
just seems odd for standard libraries to not be available.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com