mplayer problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 14 21:56:42 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun May 14 2006 3:12 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But I was able to get yumex to fix it, by letting it delete the
>> dependencies too, and then reinstall it all from livna.  Hopefully this
>> till get it back among the living.
>
> Gene: If you still have trouble with Livna's mplayerplug-in, try the one from
> here: http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/download.php
> I had a similar problem which turned out to have two sources, one being some
> strange conflict between mplayer and my ATI driver from Livna related to
> Selinux; the other was the Livna mplayerplug-in. The ATI problem was supposed
> to have been fixed, but I haven't tried it, yet - I had dealt with that one
> by turning Selinux off, temporarily. I don't know if the mplayerplug-in
> difference between the sourceforge download and Livna's was resolved.
> Installing the one from Sourceforge after removing the Livna one, got me
> going a couple of weeks ago.

I'll keep that in mind if, the next time I hit a site that needs it, it
still doesn't work.

I also found that as usual, upgrading FF has destroyed the plugins
directory.  Having been bitten by that many times over the years, I now
keep a backup directory of plugins so that I can restore those without
having to spend a couple of hours searching the net every time a new bug
vector is found in FF or Mozilla.  So now I've copied all that in, and
wouldn't you know it, the first site I hit has a file I want to look at,
but its going to be about a 200 megabyte dl for a 17 minute movie.  I've
played the first 1:40 of it so far, works great.

--
Cheers, Gene