iptable in fc5

list user xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Mon May 15 20:43:55 UTC 2006

Hongwei Li wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>> Sorry that I hit the Send before I finish it.
>>>
>>> I have a question about iptables in fc5. I have iptables 1.3.5-1.2
>>>installed.
>>> By default, the iptables has a line
>>> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT
>>> ... and
>>> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>>>
>>> I try to add the port 2049 for our lan nfs by adding aline before the above
>>> reject line:
>>>
>>>-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 128.252.85.0/255.255.255.0 -m state --state NEW -m
>>>tcp -p tcp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT
>>

>>That rule will only match the initial packet of the stream.  You will
>>also need to match states ESTABLISHED and RELATED:
>>
>>-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 128.252.85.0/255.255.255.0 -m state --state
>>NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -p tcp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT
>>

>>>-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>>>
>>>and restart iptables.  But my other linux boxes cannot mount the exported
>>>folder.  If I stop the iptable, then they can mount it.  I tried to open
>>>several other ports: 137, 139, etc.  But as long as the last line is there,
>>>it
>>>always failed.  If I comment out the last line, then nfs works.

To find out what may be missing you may want to try tcpdump.  Make sure
to use the -nn option so that ports are displayed as numbers rather than
names.  This should show you just which ports are being expected.

In the meanwhile, please post the output of iptables-save.  This will
show us your current firewall settings.

>>>What is "icmp-host-prohibited"

Just what it says.  You are prohibited from accessing this host.

  How to set it to allow some requests?  It