fedora core 5 install woes

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 16 12:08:30 UTC 2006

vl wrote:

> Having some problems installing FC5 on an intel OR840 dual P3 board.
> FC4 installs fine, but FC5 hangs when it begins installing packages.
> This occurs at different packages on each install try?  Has anyone else
> encountered this behavior? Any ideas?

I found this, on several machines,
both when installing from CDs and from the hard disk.
In my view, there is a fault in anaconda.
(Both download and CDs passed all tests.)

My solution was to install a minimal set of packages
(this is a choice if you opt for a "Custom" installation)
and then run "yum groupinstall ..." for the various package lists
(as given by "yum grouplist").

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366