Resizing logical volumes

Aad Rijnberg Aad.Rijnberg at zonnet.nl
Tue May 16 21:15:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have installed FC5 using LVM. During installation I chose the /usr volume
apparently too small, because now there is not enough room to install
updates.

To solve this problem, I would like to decrease my /home volume (LogVol03) by
some 3GB and increase the /usr volume (LogVol01) by the same amount. /home
physically resides on /dev/hda2 whereas /usr resides on /dev/hda3.

I was thinking of using system-config-lvm for this. Is that a good idea? Can
this whole operation be executed without data loss? It is possible to execute
system-config-lvm while the partitions are mounted?

Thanks,
Aad