Problem with wireless setup

When I try to set up my wireless, the application freezes when I try to
select the wireless mode.  This happens mainly with the Network menu item
under Administration under System.  How can I set the wireless mode
without crashing?

(BTW, what happened to right clicking a menu item to find out what command
it launches?)

Stan Klein