Question on setup of xorg.conf for laptop

Ed Kim ed.kim at rhatbox.com
Wed May 17 13:59:54 UTC 2006

sklein at cpcug.org wrote:
> My laptop has a Synaptics touchpad and also has a plug for an external
> mouse.  I boot into run level 3.  The touchpad works when I boot.  Once
> I've booted and started X, I can plug in the mouse and both it and the
> touchpad can control the pointer.  However, if I boot with the mouse
> plugged in, X crashes when I try to start it.  How can I boot with the
> mouse plugged in and have the mouse and touchpad both work?
>
> I've attached the relevant part of my xorg.conf file below.
>

> Stan Klein

> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Synaptics"
>     Driver         "synaptics"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>     Option         "CorePointer"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Mouse1"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "PS2"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>     Option         "AlwaysCore" "true"
> EndSection

What does your ServerLayout section say regarding Mouse0, Synaptics, and
Mouse1?
When you are able to have both the mouse and touchpad working, I would
look at your /dev/input directory and cat /dev/input/mice, then move
either the mouse or the touchpad to see what grabs this device.  You
shouldn't have two devices taking up one /dev file...